Updated: Apr 28
9 Important safety tips for online dating
Tons of dating applications are connecting people from different ends of our world, but few allow you to express your faith freely.
For us, Coptic Christians, our faith is central to all of our life’s experiences. At each moment, our continuous “looking unto Jesus, the author, and finisher of our faith,” keeps us going, according to Hebrews 12:2.
Thankfully, the Coptic Meet mobile application is allowing Coptic Christians to freely articulate our faith while trusting the Holy Spirit to direct us.
Even though the Holy Bible assures us of God’s protective edge as we see in Psalms 91, where His words confirm that, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God in Him I will trust… He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings, you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler… No evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; For He shall give His angels charge over you to keep you in all your ways.”
In Psalms 23:4, God’s word assures us that, “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.” Still, we must focus on being safe at all times, including when joining in Coptic Christian online dating.
In this article, we will touch on a few crucial tips that will guarantee your safety here on the Coptic Meet mobile application.
1. Run a Google search about yourself – You need to do this before you begin to talk to potential dates online. If you have too many personal details about yourself out there, including information such as your phone number, where you work, your address, and family details online, you may take down such information to ensure your safety. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 says, “But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one.”
2. Research and find details about your prospective dates – Proverbs 25:2 says, “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings is to search out a matter.” Beyond the necessities, you need to carry out further research about your partner. Try to look up details about your potential date and run their image search to see if it will take you to their social media platform. All of these are important for you to have a solid idea about your prospective date before meeting with them.
3. Be sure of their intent – Many times, it can be tough to know if a person is telling the truth on online dating platforms. Proverbs 20:6 says, “Most men will proclaim each his own goodness, but who can find a faithful man?” So, to get their real purpose, it is essential to build trust and comfort levels with your prospective dates. You can have video calls with your prospective dates to help you to detect a catfish or scam immediately. They will help you to have a clearer perspective about your potential date beyond their online profiles. While talking to them directly via voice or video calls, you should ask them direct questions. From their answers, you will be able to pick verbal cues that would have been otherwise hidden in chats.
4. Limit details you share about yourself – When you begin to talk to your prospective dates, there are high chances that you may start to feel at ease while talking to them. Don’t let off your guards because of this and begin to reveal specific details about yourself or your daily routine. What you should make sure you're genuine in your conversation without divulging too many personal details. James 1:19 explains, “So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.”
5. Arrange a public meet – Agree to meet with your date in a public place. You can go with a friend or family. Driving yourself to the venue is the safest option, or you can go through public transportation if you do not have a car of your own. If you would go alone, then make sure you share the details of your date with a friend or family. At the end of your first date, you should not allow your date to drive or walk you home. Galatians 5:16 talks about how walking in the spirit will aid us, “Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.”
6. Minimize the drinks and food – Ephesians 5:18 “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.” Avoid drinking, as drinking too much may leave you incoherent and susceptible to danger. Make sure to place the order for your drinks and food.
7. Reject any requests for loans or money – Do not fall for any suggested business or investment by your date. Psalms 37:16 says, “A little that a righteous man has is better than the riches of many wicked.” Do not take up loan offers or agree to demands for money.
8. Be in tune with your intuition and gut feelings – Amos 3:7 says, “Surely the Lord God does nothing unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets.” God speaks to us through our mind, so, when your mind begins to feel uncomfortable, you must focus on the signs and respect them as a sign from God.
9. Pray and lean on the Holy Spirit for guidance – As a Christian, you are nothing without God’s guidance. Remember that God’s thoughts and plans for your life are thoughts of peace. Jeremiah 29:11 confirms God’s word thus, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” You must trust in the Lord with all your heart as King Solomon admonished in Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”
Online dating holds a lot of exciting prospects for Coptic Christians. If you come on the Coptic Christian platform Coptic Meet, you’ll meet faithful Coptic Christians like you who will help you strengthen your faith.